Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Son the Alien

Yesterday afternoon was a busy one for Nate as he had lots of visitors again. First, Great-Grandma and Grandad Dudley stopped by for a few minutes with a gift for the little guy...
The picture isn't the greatest since the statue is so shiny. It's a sailboat with Jeremiah 29:11 inscribed on the main sail. The base plate says "Nathan Wyatt Dudley, 1-3-08, from Great Grandma and Grandad Dudley." It's really nice and it's the kind of gesture that's typical of Nathan's super Great Grandparents. I know he won't really appreciate it for a few years, but this is the kind of thing that he will hold onto forever. Thanks again, G & G Dudley!

Soon after the grandparents left, Olivia's Aunt Laura and Uncle Rob showed up with their 3 kids. They brought us dinner (thanks!) and posed for some pictures with Nate. Here's their 2 girls, Morgan and Kelly, with him...The 2 girls really love kids and they both seemed really happy to get a chance to cuddle the little guy. Nathan seemed a bit more unsure about the whole situation as he tried to box Morgan's nose...Later in the evening as we were getting ready for bed, I was sitting in bed with Nate in my lap. Liv told me to wake him up because he needed to eat again before sleepy time. This is where we learned another of his cute little oddities that almost made us roll out of the bed with laughter. I was reclining against a pile of pillows with my legs up at about a 45 degree angle. Nathan was about 2/3 asleep, laying on his back on my inclined legs. When Olivia tells me to wake him up, I usually just look for some way to agitate him because that's about the only way to get a response. I guess I was inspired by the football game I just turned off, because I grabbed his arms and raised them both in the "touchdown" position. The funny thing was, when I let go he held them there! Eyes closed and arms outstretched, he held the pose for about 5 seconds before letting his arms down. This was so humorous to me that I did it again and got the same result. I guess the funny thing was that he wasn't resting them on anything. He was asleep and holding them up there. I couldn't stop myself and repeated this sequence 4 or 5 times before his mother rescued him from my clutches. By then we were both beet red with laughter and I believe she called us bad parents too.

Fast forward to this morning. Due to an extraordinarily poopy diaper, we were forced to give Nathan his bath a day early. He has these neat little towels that have a noggin sized pocket on one corner to keep his little melon warm while you dry him off. After his bath, Liv had him wrapped up in one of his towels and it struck me... My son looks like E.T. !Apparently E.T. was hungry too because he was also attempting to eat a kleenex that his mother was using to wipe his chin with. I was lucky enough to catch it on video..

1 comment:

Wade and Nicole said...

Well, at least it looks like you won't have any trouble giving him a bottle!!!