Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Boy Smells Like a Girl

Today marks my 3rd week as a parent. In that time I've discovered all sorts of new things about kids and fatherhood. Important things, like how to hold a baby in one arm and cook with the other or how to duck and cover while changing a diaper. The one thing that is still a mystery to me is babies' smell. Not the rear end smell, I understand that. It's the "baby smell" that doesn't make sense. Let me explain. After my son's baths, his mother always slathers him in lotion like she's glazing a Christmas ham. I don't begrudge her for doing it, his skin is dry and he needs it. But the lotion we have is milk and honey or some such scented. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell very manly either. I'm not trying to be picky here, I just want to defend the defenseless. My boy can't vocalize what scent he wants to wear, so I try to put myself in his shoes. I mean, does Old Spice make a baby lotion? Does Aqua Velva make butt butter? I haven't seen any. Let me know if you have. I think they should, because I really feel bad for all the little boys who are forced to smell like flowers and can't do anything about it.

And now today's bib. It's funny, whenever we put this one on him he feels compelled to live up to it almost immediately...

No comments: