Monday, January 28, 2008

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back to Work I Go... DOH!

Well, the 3 week vacation that was my paternity leave came to an end this morning at 7am. I was really enjoying the stay at home dad thing, even though Olivia still did most of the parenting over those 3 weeks. Hmm, maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. Either way, I still had to go back today. I felt like an escaped con who was finally reeled in by John Law once again. But no one wants to listen to me complain about work, so I'll get straight to what you really came here for... more pictures of the Teeny Little Super Guy.

Why do kids sleep like this? I've never known an adult to sleep with their butt up in the air, but it seems a lot of kids do. What is it that makes them do it and at what point do we get too old to want to relax this way anymore. I'm not saying I want to sleep this way, I'm just curious. After all the exploitive pictures of Nathan I've posted, I believe that today's bib may be a bit prophetic of him... I'm guessing his revenge will be in about 16 years when he's eating enough food to feed a family of six. He'll stick it to his old man with food bills roughly equal to the gross domestic product of Albania.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

These are the first pictures where I can start to form an opinion about which one of you he resembles. Particularly in that last shot, I think his forehead and brow look like his pops.

I vaguely remember that there are actual reasons babies sleep that way, so I dug out my old pediatric PT class notes. Evidently babies sleep that way because 1)They were in that position in utero, so their muscles are used to being at that length (ie. no excessive stretching); 2)Neurologically healthy babies favor flexed postures during the first several months of development; 3)Their hip sockets are shallow and their femoral heads are rotated, making it easy for them to hike their legs up into that position. So babies sleep that way because they're healthy and comfortable. Nap on, Nate!

dudtobe said...

Wow! That's pretty much all that needs to be said right now!

Oh and Brandon, when you said " Why do kids sleep like that?" for some odd reason my eyes drifted to you and not Nathan. I think subconsciously I automatically think of you when something is referred to as a kid! Hmmmm...