Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bathroom #2 Complete

The new bathroom is finally done. Washing machine #2 took a dump on us as soon as we moved it in. Awesome. So that's all that's missing from these pics.We got the new one today, but I didn't take any new pics because it's a washing machine. I hope you're not disappointed. Anyway, we're very happy with how it looks. Remember this?
Ewwwww. I can't believe I lived with that for 8 years.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Tile, Grout, and Sweet Corn

We got the floor in the new bathroom pretty much done this week. I laid the starter strips Monday.
Tuesday evening was a supply run and Wednesday was spent cutting and dry fitting tile. Thursday, me and Pop stuck the tile down. Then on Saturday he and Nana and I grouted everything. I think it turned out pretty good.
We also got the cabinet hung over the washer and dryer.

We're on track to have the washer, dryer, and toilet operational by Tuesday and we should be completely done with the whole project by week's end. Hopefully.

Nathan was in rare form again this week, prompting some impromptu photo shoots. Here he is "experiencing" his applesauce.

Later in the week, he tried to steal the car.
Relax, he only had the house keys. It's a good thing too. He looked like he had had a few too many to be driving...Friday I put the lad to work. He had to help me pick up all the tile spacers in the bathroom.
He did a great job and the best part was that I didn't even have to pay him! The highlight of the week had to be tonight, though. We went to Nana and Pop's for dinner and Nate got his first taste of sweet corn.
He mostly liked sucking the butter off of it, but I think he got a few good bites in too.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Remodeling, Week 3

We're 3 weeks into bathroom number 2 and I couldn't be happier with our progress. By this time next week, we could possibly be finished. I think that's a rather lofty goal, but we should for sure be done in another 2 weeks. Aunt Shauna stuck around after last weekend and put up the second coat of mud on Monday. Tuesday was coat 3 and Wednesday was sanding day. Sanding is sooooo much easier when you're not doing the ceiling. Thursday was primer and paint coat 1. Friday was coat 2. Here's how it looks...
Nana and Pop came over all day on Saturday to help. We got the ceiling completely done and finished all the electrical stuff up above.Not bad for my first drop ceiling, huh? The big fluorescent light was in the old bathroom and is on it's own switch. The can light to the left is above the turlet and is on the same switch as the vanity lights (seen in the first picture). The can to the right is above the shower and is switched with the fan. We also managed to get the cement board down and snap our lines for the tile.
You can see that we're going with the diagonal tiles again like with the first bathroom. I think it looks better, but we also have some serious square issues again. We're calling the wall with the door square. The opposite wall is about 7' long and it's distance from the square wall varies about 2" from one end to the other. So, hopefully the diagonal tile and the washer and dryer will hide some of that. Here's a shot of the tile with Liv's paint choice. (Ignore the white on the tile, that's drywall mud.)Picture these with white trim between them. Liv and I are both pretty happy with the way the colors look. So, it was a huge day for us. Thanks to Nana and Pop for all their help. We should have the floors done by Thursday or Friday. Then we can start moving things in and finish putting the shower together. There was one little mishap today however...Ow, it's still throbbing.