Sunday, January 20, 2008

Maybe Schedules Are a Good Idea

Last night, we went to Todd and Hannah Anhalt's wedding reception and took Nathan with us. BIG MISTAKE. Everything was going fine starting out. He slept the whole way into town and through the first couple hours of the reception. Then, he decided to use some chemical warfare. He released the biggest bomb he has to date. After it escaped the diaper, it left a large mess in his clothes and some even escaped that onto his blanket. Not a pretty sight.

Thank God we had friends there, because Olivia needed backup and I wasn't too sure they'd welcome me in the ladies room. Our friend Sarah volunteered and away they went. They were gone like 15 or 20 minutes. Luckily we packed a change of clothes for the little rascal or we'd have really been in deep doo doo... literally. Upon their return, Sarah informed me that my son had lost 2 lbs. To make matters worse, there was no changing table in the bathroom and they had to change him on the counter top between sinks. Wow.

After all that, Nathan was a bit more lively and luckily was in a pretty good mood too. He was very interested in all the new scenery that he had woken up into.

Judging by the size of his eyeballs, he was having a tough time taking it all in. All in all, the reception was great and we wish Todd and Hannah all the best. The real problem started after we left.

We left the reception around 9:30, which wasn't very late up until a couple weeks ago. At one point on the way home, all 3 of us yawned in unison. It was 11 before we got home and got everyone to bed. Here's where the trouble started. We don't really have Nathan on "a schedule" yet, but he usually is able to keep his nights and days sorta straight. Not last night. Whatever framework of a "schedule" that we had went right out the window. He was crying at least every 2 hours all night. I think his mother was about to go out the window as well. Needless to say, I think we'll be a bit more conservative next time we decide to socialize outside the home.

So, today has been guy's day so far. I thawed out some of Olivia's frozen milk and we boys are hanging out downstairs while mom catches up on some sleep. I've managed one feeding and one diaper change all by myself so far and I'm feeling rather proud of myself. I've got enough milk for one more meal and football will be starting shortly, so hopefully we'll both be content for a bit longer. After feeding the boy his lunch, I was able to fix my own and also snap a shot of today's bib...

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Cripes, if you'd just stop feeding the boy Casey's pizza, you wouldn't have these problems.