Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Little Kingdom

I finally finished the great logo project the other day (see "What Have I Gotten Myself Into?" Feb 4, 2008). I was actually surprised how quickly I got it done. I was expecting it to drag on for months, but I managed to stick with it and finish in about 3 weeks. I have to say thank you to Olivia for giving me the time to work on it. Here's what it all looked like when I was done...
I was very surprised by how few pieces I was actually missing. I think I got my first set when I was 5, so I've had some for almost 25 years. I estimate the collection to be between 6000 and 7000 individual pieces. When I was finished building, I was missing a total of probably 20 or 25 pieces. Not to shabby. I was actually missing only4 or 5 pieces from the newer, larger sets. The older sets were missing a few more, but I was able to substitute different colors in for most of those. There was one small police van that ended up looking like a clown car, though. Shauna has agreed to hook me up with a handful of pieces to round things out and make everything pretty close to 100%. Here's a few closeups so you can see things better...Who knew the space shuttle launch pad was next door to a truck stop?My favorites were always the space sets...
The sad thing is that I'm really only halfway done. Now I have to tear them all apart piece by piece and bag them up by set. Now watch, I'll go through all this work and Nathan will end up not even liking legos.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Did you end up finding the instructions for the Main Street set we had? That's the first one I remember us getting. I found the photo of it on the website you mentioned in your Feb 4 post (pg 5 of the Town stuff). I still have the little chef guy from that set...didn't he have a striped umbrella and a popcorn stand, or something?

From your pictures, I remember that swivel-legged walker thingy with the articulting arm in front...I can stil picture exactly how the legs are constructed. I also rememeber the fire boat and the white space ship with the two red cockpits in front. Did you find dates for those on the website?