Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Spongebob on Healthcare

Ever since Nate has been old enough to watch TV, I've been subjected to watching what he watches on many occasions. Some of his shows I find excruciatingly nauseating, such as Dora, Super Why, and Sid the Science Kid. These are supposedly educational so I have no problem with him watching them. I just hate being around when he does because they make we want to gouge my eyes out and cram them in my ears so I can neither see nor hear their inane banter. On the contrary, some of the other shows he watches are actually somewhat entertaining. Sesame Street is always good and we both love watching the trains on Thomas and Friends. But one of my favorite "Nate shows" has got to be Spongebob Squarepants.
It's not educational at all, which is probably why I enjoy it so much. There's quite a bit of humor that adults can appreciate in there. Take today for example. While I was trying to find something to absorb the boy's attention for a few peaceful minutes, we flipped on the tube and there was Spongebob. I got quite a chuckle when I heard the cartoon's take on our health care situation. It came in a short exchange between Spongebob and his buddy Patrick after Patrick fell and "broke his butt". Here's how it went (more or less)...

Bob: Patrick, you should go see a doctor.

Patrick: I can't go to the doctor, my job doesn't provide me with health care insurance.

Bob: What job?

Patrick: Exactly.

Simply amazing. A children's cartoon has a better grasp on health care in America than our own government does. I know, I know. There's a lot more to it than that, but they've managed to capture a sizable portion of the problem in a 10 second conversation between a sponge and a starfish. All this leads me to one obvious conclusion...

Spongebob for president in 2012!!

1 comment:

Shauna said...

I nominate The Brain for Vice President!

It'll be just like the good ol' Bush days...a Veep that's bent on global domination. Spongebob, are you pondering what I'm pondering?