Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Point of No Return

Well, there's no turning back now. I think we're committed...
I finished wrecking out the chimney today and cut a new door to access the lost room. It may not look like much, but it's about 3 times bigger than the other access door in our closet. Eventually, most of that whole wall will come out. I'm trying to keep the bathroom usable for as long as I possibly can before I rip it all out. I also bought a sheet of foam insulation so I can cover the hole up and maintain some of our warm air. Here's what it looks like from the other side.
You can see I built a little bridge to cover up the chimney hole and make for easier access. I can't sheet over the hole until I get the plumbing in underneath, so this was a temporary deal for safety mostly. You'll also notice I took down part of the duct work. The trunk line comes up from the basement immediately to the right of my little bridge. It splits into 3 ducts there. I was able to leave the one into the bathroom and the one into my office connected for now, but the one that ran across to our bedroom is no more. It never put out much anyway, so we won't really miss it. I think tomorrow's project will be to replace some of the floorboards that have gone bad and to cut down the OSB to sheet over the steps.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

FUN!
Have you let Nate peek in there yet? Do you think it would even register with him that there's a whole new room in his house?