Sunday, November 9, 2008

Let the Destruction Begin

We finally finished harvest around lunchtime yesterday, so by yesterday afternoon I had begun the bathroom project. First thing on my list, the disappearing chimney trick. Now you see it... Now you don't... In about 2 hours I managed to dismantle it brick by brick. Luckily, the bricks were pretty non-porous and the old mortar was not very well bonded to them. Most of them just pulled right off and were easily cleaned off with a few taps and scrapes from a claw hammer. Amazingly enough, I managed to drop only one brick down the chimney and I still have my hammer too. If you drop something down there just let it go, 'cause man, it's gone... It's probably 15 or 18 feet down to the bottom of that. It does make a handy trash receptacle though. Never underestimate the benefits of having a bottomless pit in your house. That's where I dumped the mortar that came off the bricks. Olivia came upstairs and was like, "There's a bunch of smoke in the basement!" I assured her it was just some leftover dust being kicked out of my disposal chute. I've removed to just below the floor so far. I need to remove another 5 or 6 rows of brick to get down to the downstairs ceiling. Then I should have the room I need to maneuver my plumbing between the two. So now I'm left with piles of well-worn bricks that need to be removed from the room. I've already found a home for them all as Olivia, Megan, and Shauna all need some for various gardening projects. All I need now is some help getting them down. It's a bit cumbersome because they have to be handed out the window to someone standing on my truck toolboxes. Then you have to hand them down to someone on the ground to pile them on the concrete patio. So, it's really a 3 person job. Hmmm, there just so happens to be 3 people that want the bricks. What a coincidence.

2 comments:

nursemd said...

I'm sure we could work something out...You've got bricks to move and I have tests I don't want to study for. This could be the beginning of a destructive friendship...

Shauna said...

And I've got a thesis that I'm avoiding! Count me in!

Brandon, what's to be the fate of that window sill woodwork? Are you keeping it or putting in a vinyl window?
If you're chucking it, we'd take it. We're eventually going to restore a window at the top of the stairs (by the linen closet). It's been drywalled over. You woodwork kinda looks like it could match.