Thursday, March 6, 2008

Tongue Tied?

As of Monday, Nathan is officially 2 months old. It doesn't seem possible. He went in for his 2 month Dr visit yesterday. His growth has finally slowed a little. He was 11 lb, 15 oz and 24-1/2" tall. That's only an increase of 4 oz over the last week, but he's managed to gain over 2 lbs and 1-1/2" in the last month. I guess that's not too bad. Health-wise, I think he's doing great. He's the only member of our household who hasn't been sick lately. The doc gave him his 2 month shots and he wasn't too happy about that. He was pretty worn out that afternoon, but he's back to his old self now.After his Dr visit, Liv took him to her mother's support group dealy again. While there she was talking about her mastitis problems with one of the nurses. I guess the nurse was very knowledgeable about it because she knew enough to check the boy's mouth. Sure enough, he's tongue tied. What? I thought that was just a figure of speech. Well, apparently it's a medical condition too. I guess he's got a thin piece of flesh connecting the bottom of his tongue to the floor of his mouth. It prevents him from completely sticking his tongue out. I guess it's not uncommon. Apparently it keeps him from nursing as effectively as he could and might be contributing to his mom's problems. So, we're talking with doctors to see if we can get it fixed. I don't think it's a big deal, just a little snip. We want to fix it now before he's learning to talk in case it might give him any difficulties with that.

Other than that, he seems to be a pretty happy baby still. He's just getting to the point where you can get him to smile pretty easily if he's in a good mood.

He's still not cooing much, but he's definitely very active. He has 2 mobiles. He has one with bears over his changing table and we just got one with fishes for his crib. We took it for a test drive last weekend and he really got a kick out of it... literally.

2 comments:

nursemd said...

Totally weird but today in Anatomy class we talked about beidng "tongue tied" and how they just clip the connective tissue. Weird huh? Any ideas if this is considered "major" surgery or not?

nursemd said...

Oh and another thing (Nathan kept coming up in my classes) in Spanish today we were talking about Che Guevara and I mentioned that my nephew had a sweet new Che bib. My prof (who loves Che) thought that was pretty sweet! If you ever get a pic of him with it I should show it to my prof.