Monday, December 31, 2007

My Son the Prankster

I can already tell that my son will be the family prankster. He's not even out the womb yet, and he's already pulling stuff on his folks.

Saturday afternoon we were getting ready for my cousin's wedding when Olivia noticed none of her shoes fit anymore. She eventually found a pair of sandals that she could squeeze on and we headed off to the wedding. On the way, she contacted her health care professionals to inquire about her swollen appendages. About the same time we made it to the church, they told her she'd better get to the hospital to be checked out. So, she said hi/bye to the bride and we left before the ceremony even started.

At the hospital, they hooked her up to all the monitors and took some blood. While we waited for the test results, we learned that what Olivia thought were cramps were really contractions. What's more, they were somewhat strong and minutes apart. "Holy cow!" I thought, "This kid's gonna come on his own and 2 days before the end of the tax season!" The test results soon came back showing that Liv was fine. The Dr. didn't think there was any risk and the contractions were irregular enough that she sent us home about 3 or 4 hours after we got there. I was still very optimistic though. I thought for sure we'd be back in less than 24 hours and have that little rascal out of there.

Alas, here it is Monday the 31st and Nathan has yet to show his face. I can see his chubby little baby face right now, laughing hysterically at the prank pulled on his unwitting folks. He's still managed to torment his mother with contractions for 2 days, but nothing's moving. I can tell he's going to be quite the little stinker. So now we just wait for Thursday when we'll pry him out of there. I see that he'll be a formidable opponent to match wits with. It's go time, Nate. Let's get it on! T-minus 3 days and counting. I'll try to post his pictures by Friday sometime.

No comments: