Sunday, December 9, 2007

Maybe Al Gore Was Right

When I was a kid, it used to snow. Sometimes a lot. Now I'm approaching 30 and I realize that it doesn't snow anymore, it ices. I mean, it still snows sometimes, but now it seems that we're just as likely to get an ice storm as a snow storm. Like last night...
There's a little snow under there, but most of that is ice. Just for some perspective, I can usually walk underneath that tree that's scraping the ground. What's more, the forecast is calling for more freezing rain tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday. Here's a shot of our skating rink, er, driveway...

I went out this afternoon to remove the 1/4 inch of ice coating my state truck so I wouldn't have to do it at 6am tomorrow. It was all I could do to walk 30 feet out to the truck without falling on my @$$. After a couple buckets of hot water and 30 minutes of scraping I had it cleared off enough to drive, thus ensuring that we will receive another coating of ice overnight undoubtedly. We had another big ice storm or two similar to this last year as well. So I'm left thinking, what's going on here? I mean, I can deal with snow. Just sweep or shovel it away, dig out the car, and move on. This ice is crazy though. It's an ordeal just to get the car door to open, let alone getting everything scraped off enough to drive.

I found myself pondering why ice is taking center stage now and snow seems to be a novelty. My only thought is that it's too cold to rain, but too warm to snow. Maybe Al Gore and his global warming nuts are on to something. Or not. I don't think I'm ready to throw in with that crowd yet. Maybe the earth is getting warmer, but I find it a bit far-fetched to think we little humans could cause it. And if things are warming up, I find it even more ludicrous to believe that we little humans could slow or stop it. Mother nature will adjust the thermostat as she sees fit. Remember the ice age? Anyway, I'm not entirely sure I even have a point to make here. I guess my point is ice sucks. There's something we can all agree on.

No comments: