Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Yes, I can read

Anyone who knows me very well will probably be surprised to find out that I have begun reading books from time to time. I've even finished a few that don't have pictures! My brilliant wife has discovered this thing called the New Berlin Public Library. Apparently, they'll let you borrow books, and for free! It's amazing! Anyhow, a couple weeks ago I finished one that I actually enjoyed quite a bit. It's called 3 Nights in August by Buzz Bissinger.


It's an inside look at a 3 game series between the Cardinals and Cubs in August 2005 with special attention paid to the viewpoint of Tony LaRussa. There's really nothing noteworthy about the series itself, other than being a key series for both ball clubs during the 2005 playoff race. The real heart of the subject matter is just baseball and what goes through a manager's mind on a daily basis during the season. It was an interesting inside look at the nuances of the game and how complicated and simple it can be at the same time. I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to any fan of the sport. I'm sure being a Cardinal fan contributed to my interest in the book, but I think it could be enjoyed by anyone who cares about the game. If your town has one of these "libraries", go check it out!

No comments: